Wednesday 4 July 2012

Tried & Loved - Clinique - Chubby Stick - Chunky Cherry




I was recently lucky enough to receive a Clinique Chubby Stick in the mail and boy was I excited to try this one out! Chubby sticks have been around for a little while now, but I missed out on purchasing with the initial hype about them and almost forgot I needed one until the recent competition on the Clinique Australia facebook that I posted about earlier in my blog!

Clinique describe the Chubby Stick as "Super-nourishing balm loaded with mango and shea butters. Just what dry, delicate lips need to feel comfortably soft and smooth. Eight mouth watering lip tints in all, each with a subtle sheen." The 8 shades are currently: Chunky Cherry, Graped-up, Mega Melon, Super Strawberry, Fuller Fig, Woppin’ Watermelon and Richer Raisin.


The shade I received was Chunky Cherry which is a nice sheer red which turned a little more pinky red once applied to my lips as can be seen in the swatch and then in the picture above. I would say that this looks to be the brightest of all the shades in the current collection, and probably not something I would wear everyday at work, but definitely something I would put on any time other than that (I work in an office of mostly men that look at me funny when I wear much makeup, haha). 

The packaging makes them super easy to apply, as with any other crayon or pencil type lipsticks/lip balms I've tried before, but the balm side of things makes these super smooth to swipe on in a hurry or on the go. I applied mine in the car after a hair cut in the picture above without the aid of a mirror and found it sat perfectly on my lips. Great to have in your bag for a quick pick me up with your makeup, or to go easily from day to night without fuss! You can easily layer the colour to be really sheer, or build up to show even more

The Chubby Stick is a wind up tube in the cute shape of a pencil, made from plastic and with a shiny metal feel and look cap and tip. The product just feels nice in your hand like you know it's quality materials, and you know it's going to last, but without being too heavy to keep in your handbag every day. The packaging is really one of the things that draws me in with these because it's so different to most other lipsticks or lip balms on the market. If you've got a Clinique Chubby Stick, you know it's a Clinique Chubby Stick!


Overall I think the product lasted fairly well on my lips and was quite comfortable. It was hydrating enough to keep wearing through out the day with touch ups only needed from the Chubby Stick, rather than a lot of products where I still need a lot more moisture so my lips don't crack or dry out - I think the mango and shea butters work nicely here for that. I also like the consistency. It's smooth enough to glide onto your lips with ease, but also tacky enough to stick around for a while and you can feel it lightly on your lips without being too sticky. It's almost like a matte lipstick once it's been on your lips for a while, it doesn't dry your lips out but it's not overly slick, so if you need a little more moisture than that through the day I would probably top up with something like the Clinique Superbalm moisturising gloss I reviewed earlier in my blog.  


As with most Clinique products I've tried these are not scented. Sometimes I love a little gimmick of smell, and with such cute names it'd be nice to have the scent to match, but I also don't feel like I'm missing out without a scent in these products as the product speaks for itself and is present where it needs to be without being overpowering in any dimension.


I know there is a lot of hype about hybrid lip balm/lipsticks at the moment, but from the others that I've tried so far this seems to be the classic, and the best for a reason. I honestly can't wait to get more of these and wear them everyday! 


I was given this chubby stick to review, but you can purchase these from Clinique stores Australia wide for $35. I think this will honestly last me ages as a little product goes a long way! You can find your nearest Clinque stockist on their website here or you can also buy directly from the Clinique Australia website as they usually have awesome bonuses and free samples going on with their web-store. 


As an added bonus, there are 8 (yes EIGHT!) new shades being released at the end of this month, and I was lucky enough to be sent a preview to share. These can be seen in the image below: 


[image courtesy of Clinique Australia]


Have you tried Clinique's Chubby Stick yet? What do you love / loathe about them? What's your favourite colour? x


2 comments:

  1. I had won one of the facebook chubby stick competitions too! I recieved woopin' watermelon and super strawberry :) I received other goodies too which I posted on my blog. Glad to see another BH beauty wining these comps too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I saw your post with your winning goodies! Such a cool prize. How are you liking the shades you received? I'm not sure which one I want to try next! Hehe. x

      Delete